Chia Chai Butternut Breakfast Pudding2017-02-03
- Yield : 1
- Servings : 2
- Prep Time : 15m
Chia Chai Butternut Breakfast Pudding
Valentine is upon us and in the name of celebrating the humble squash, we bring you this versatile butternut recipe, perfect as an overnight breakfast or make-ahead dessert.
- 1 large butternut squash (approx. 400g)
- 2 rooibos chai tea bags or 2 tsp rooibos chai tea leaves
- 4 tbsp white chia seeds
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- Coconut yoghurt
- Goji berries
1. Preheat the oven to fan 180°C/Gas mark 6 and roast the butternut squash in the oven for 40–50 minutes until cooked through and tender. Scoop out 400g of the squash flesh and mash well. (Any leftover squash can be frozen and used in a soup or smoothie.)
2. Add the squash to a saucepan with 350ml water, the coconut oil and the tea leaves (or the contents of the tea bags, if using). Bring to a medium simmer, then remove from the heat and leave to cool for a few minutes.
3. Stir in the chia seeds, continuously whisking at first to avoid lumps, then add the honey.
4. Leave to sit for at least 20 minutes to an hour for the chia to swell (unless you like it crunchy). Alternatively, transfer to a flask and by the time you get to work, you’ll have a nice warm chia breakfast pudding.
5. Serve with coconut yoghurt and goji berries